Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Rest for the Weary



From Contributing Writer, Kimberlee Mendoza


Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-29).

These words spoken by Jesus, nourish my soul every time I read them. It is comforting to know that when I am overwhelmed and burdened by the worries of this life, Christ calls to me and promises rest for my weary soul.

His rest comes when I put my trust in Him. As I consciously yield myself to Him, trusting His plans for my future, I find the peace I have been longing for.

His rest comes when I finally stop trying to control my life. When I stop striving and trying to manipulate people and events. As I learn to not only accept but embrace His timing and provision in my life, I find the rest He promises me.

His rest comes when I surrender the fear that hinders me and steals my joy. As I magnify Him rather than my anxiety, my fears are assuaged, my faith is strengthened and I find peace.

His rest comes as I allow Him to heal the wounds of my past. When I invite His grace to cover me and heal my heart, my soul is released from unforgiveness and bitterness. And I find His rest.

Jesus offers rest for the weary soul. The rest he offers is active, not passive. It is life-changing and transformational. Obtaining this rest requires my life. My whole life. It requires trust. It requires me to surrender my hopes, dreams, fears, and doubts. Some of these things are easy to surrender and some are terrifying. Truthfully, most of us really do think we know what is best for us. Jesus encourages us to learn from him and reminds us that the life he offers us is not burdensome or difficult to bear. As we endeavor to trust Christ and live surrendered lives before Him, we will find rest for our souls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment