Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"True Joy" from Contributing Writer, Kimberlee Mendoza

In the English language, we tend to use the terms “joy” and “happiness” interchangeably.  However to the Christian, there is a grand distinction.  Happiness is a delightful state but it is a feeling that shifts like the blowing winds.  Joy, on the other hand, is less of a feeling than it is a state of being.  Joy is a down-deep hope in the goodness and beauty of God.  Joy is rooted in the belief that we serve the God who proclaimed to Jeremiah, “For I know the plans I have for you…plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11)”.  Unlike happiness, joy is not a transient emotional state.  Rather, it is a lens by which we view our lives and the world around us.  True joy is anchored by the character of God and trust in His promises.  True joy produces gratitude and thanksgiving. 

Because joy is not dependent on our life circumstances, it is possible to have joy in spite of incredible sorrow and pain. A dear friend of mine recently experienced a miscarriage.  The loss was shocking and her heart is broken into a thousand pieces.  She is experiencing great sorrow but I have witnessed her joy in the midst of this terrible trial.  This is true joy.  It transcends circumstances like sorrow and grief and it is powerful.  Joy buoys the soul from sinking when the waves of tragedy and despair come crashing in.  This is the joy that leads the believer to worship through pain.  This is the joy that enables a believer to have gratitude during loss.
This is what Paul is talking about in Romans 5:3-5, when he says there is joy in suffering- that the trials of this life produce endurance. And this endurance develops character and, ultimately, gives us a hope that does not disappoint.  This lasting, beautiful, powerful hope is why there is joy even in the midst of suffering. 

Dear Father, Please be my hope.  Renew my joy and help me to trust your plan for my life.  Help me to shift the focus off my circumstances, so I can worship and magnify you.  Teach me how to cultivate gratitude and thankfulness in my life, that I may bring you glory.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment